Oakland County Resource Book
HINTS FOR GETTING HELP
You should get to the agency early. Going to an agency too close to the lunch hour or the end of the business day won't give enough time to process your application for help. This may delay you from getting help.
- For help with utilities, you must have a shut-off notice and a Written Determination/Decision Notice from DHS.
- For help with rent, you must have a court-ordered summons or judgment in your name and a Written Determination/Decision Notice from DHS.
- For help with mortgage payment, you must have a court-ordered judgment.
- Help is given by agencies only when money or other resources are available.
- Some houses of worship in your neighborhood may help, contact them.
- Pass the word; share information with others on where to go for help.
- Agencies can't always help. If that agency can't help, ask if they would contact another agency for you that might be able to help.
- Keep trying